- 6 cups Rice Krispie type cereal (I actually prefer the generic brand because they are whiter and take colored better)
- 4 cups Mini-marshmallow
- 1/4 cup butter
- Green Food Coloring
- Wood skewer
- 7" Plastic Plate (or other mounting surface)
- "Star" Cookie Cutters, varying sizes
Decorations: Anything you like...
We used Royal Icing, Mini M+M's, and a fondant star
- Melt the butter and add a generous amount of green food coloring.
- Combine the marshmallow and heat on Med-low until melted, keep mixing the food coloring in at this time.
- Remove from heat and add the cereal, stir gently until the marshmallow coats the entire product.
- Spread mixture onto a cookie sheet until it is about 1" think (spray with vegie spray if you want, ahead of time) and let cool.
- Cut out star shapes with the cookie cutters (use a template and knife if you don't have cutters).
- Stack the stars from largest to smallest and use a skewer in the center to keep everything in place.
- If you are using Royal Icing, use a dollop of icing under the first star to secure it to the plate.
- Drip Royal Icing (or gel frosting would work, too) randomly around edges so it drips down to look like snow.
- Place mini candy into icing and then let everything dry and harden.
I found plastic cello bags that fit well so I could time the up on top with a pretty ribbon and they also stay protected for transport. Enjoy making your own forest!